Thursday, March 26, 2015

SBAC Equation Editor and Some Notes on Formulas

Below are a few screenshots from the SBAC Equation Editor tutorial.  After the SBAC Interim tests, students may or may not need additional practice inputting answers that include formulas/variables. If practice is needed, please direct students to the tutorial, where they can get immediate feedback on whether or not they are entering answers correctly.

Students can pick from any of the tutorials below.  For these screenshots I am using the Exponents tutorial.


This tutorial walks me through directions on how to enter three different expressions.  The first set of directions are below.

This particular tutorial walked me through how to enter the following three expressions.


When finished, press the button at the bottom left to see how you did.

Score results are below. (I changed expression 3 from what you see in the image above so that we could see what feedback is given for incorrect answers.)

I also learned that standard shortcuts like "^" for raising to a power and "sqrt" for square root still work.

A couple of additional observations:  
  • I haven't seen the use of subscripts yet in any of the released problems.  It appears that for sequences students will write f(n)=3n+2 or s(n)=4x-7 (etc.).  Also for recursive rules we will write f(1)=10, f(n)=f(n-1)+3 for n>1 for the sequence with first term of 10 that increases by 3 for each term.
  • I have not seen any formulas given for volume.  I have also not seen problems where students are asked to find the volume of cones or pyramids. So far I have only seen rectangular prisms, cylinders, and spheres.
Anything other observations we can note here?  Please email Shelley or add to the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment